Former VP Gore won both an Oscar and a Nobel Prize for his documentary, “An Inconvenient Truth.” He advanced the theory that greenhouse gasses were responsible for global warming, and that global warming is both real and caused by man. But an inconvenient truth is that global warming is no longer a science, but an industry worth tens of billions of dollars (with a chunk of that “industry” based on outright fraud).
A few months ago Lewis Pugh and the Polar Defense Project set out on a much-media-hyped journey to paddle a kayak to an ice-free North Pole to show how bad global warming was. Unfortunately for Pugh, he was stopped by ice 600 miles from his destination, with the accompanying ship in real danger in getting stuck in the congested ice floes which “covered the sea” – and to make it even worse for global warming theorists – he was 100 miles south from the point that a canoeist had reached a CENTURY earlier. There was 9% more ice in the arctic last autumn than the year before.
But Pugh – who truly deserves a Darwin award if anyone ever did – still believes he’s right. The Peter Pan story is replayed: if you really, really believe you can fly, you can! You really, really can!
UK Telegraph writer Gerald Warner comments on this morbid stupidity in his piece, “Global Warming: Al Gore’s convenient untruth freezes over.” He writes:
You have to wrap up well against this global warming. Over the past 48 hours the temperature has fallen as low as -12C in Dorset, with the sea at Poole Harbour frozen up to 20 yards from shore, and parts of Britain colder than Greenland. Phew, what a scorcher! Might be a good idea to start up the car (if it will start) and pump some more CO2 into the atmosphere before we freeze to death. What did the media warn us about climate change?
“There is very important climatic change going on right now, and it’s not merely something of academic interest. It is something that, if it continues, will affect the whole human occupation of the earth – like a billion people starving. The effects are already showing up in a rather drastic way.”
That apocalyptic warning came from Fortune magazine – in 1974, when it was alerting readers to an imminent new Ice Age. By 2006 it had conformed to the latest fashion and had revised its doomsday scenario to: “The media agrees with the majority of scientists: global warming is here. Now, what to do about it?” So much for the media as climatic arbiter.
In the current climate, Fortune’s earlier scenario seems more plausible. A few months ago, Lewis Pugh set off on a much-hyped journey paddling a kayak to an “ice-free” North Pole: he was stopped by ice 600 miles from his destination and 100 miles south of where a canoeist had reached a century earlier. As this egg-on-face setback for climate alarmists illustrated, there was 9 per cent more ice at the Arctic last autumn than the year before. After a record ice melting there was a record freeze.
Although Arctic sea ice last summer reached the lowest level recorded since satellite observation began (an important qualification), Antarctic ice reached the highest, but Al Gore was not shouting about that. Global average temperatures hit a peak in 1998, but have been declining since. Now, to the further embarrassment of alarmists, Kerry Emanuel, professor of Atmospheric Science at MIT, who first advanced the thesis of a connection between global warming and hurricanes, has rejected his own theory after further research.
Bad luck for Al Gore, who used the image of a hurricane emerging from a smoke stack to promote his fantasy extravaganza An Inconvenient Truth. The core ice samples featured in Gore’s film actually proved that increased CO2 emissions have historically followed 800 years after warm periods – but what the hell, this ain’t science, it’s politics. Just how we are supposed to influence carbon emissions when mankind is only responsible for 3.5 per cent of them is unclear.
But the cash from UN grants, wind farms, carbon trading and all the billions squandered on a politically useful (to totalitarians) superstition is very clear indeed: this is big bucks. “Man-made” global warming is the new sub-prime commerce of the planet. Meantime, wrap up well.
Global average temperatures hit a peak in 1998, but have been in general decline ever since. Ironically, after all the demonization that President George W. Bush was forced to endure at the hands of demagogues during his eight years in office, he has left the planet in better shape – global-warming wise – than he found it. Not that the left would EVER acknowledge that reality in spite of all the evidence. Global warming is real, no matter what the facts say. Facts are merely “an inconvenient truth.”
When you are completely and entirely wrong, send in the psychologists and have your opposition declared mentally defective. It worked for Stalin, after all. Mind you, we’re going to need a lot of straitjackets: most people think global warming is B.S.
A new Pew Research Center poll shows that global warming is at the bottom of the list — when it comes to the public’s top priorities in 2009. Nineteen other topics trump climate change in the pew poll identifying the top 20 issues. Just 30-percent say global warming is a major concern.
Not surprisingly — the economy is the number one issue. Eighty-five percent said it was a top priority — followed by jobs, terrorism, Social Security and education.
Global warming was dead last behind topics such as moral decline, lobbyists and trade policy.
Wow. 70% of the world locked up in straitjackets.
And a lot of the people who would have to be locked up are scientists.
More than 650 scientists who took part in the International Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), publicly disputed the IPCC’s conclusions. And even the IPCC – which was actually the prime recipient of the Nobel Prize that Gore shared in – was far less drastic in any of its conclusions than propagandist Al Gore.
Here are some choice excerpts from the report:
- “I am a skeptic … . Global warming has become a new religion.” — Nobel Prize Winner for Physics, Ivar Giaever.
- “Since I am no longer affiliated with any organization nor receiving any funding, I can speak quite frankly … . As a scientist I remain skeptical.” — Atmospheric Scientist Dr. Joanne Simpson, the first woman in the world to receive a Ph.D. in meteorology and formerly of NASA who has authored more than 190 studies and has been called “among the most pre-eminent scientists of the last 100 years.”
- Warming fears are the “worst scientific scandal in the history … . When people come to know what the truth is, they will feel deceived by science and scientists.” — U.N. IPCC Japanese Scientist Dr. Kiminori Itoh, an award-winning Ph.D. environmental physical chemist.
- “The IPCC has actually become a closed circuit; it doesn’t listen to others. It doesn’t have open minds … . I am really amazed that the Nobel Peace Prize has been given on scientifically incorrect conclusions by people who are not geologists.” — Indian geologist Dr. Arun D. Ahluwalia at Punjab University and a board member of the U.N.-supported International Year of the Planet.
- “The models and forecasts of the U.N. IPCC “are incorrect because they only are based on mathematical models and presented results at scenarios that do not include, for example, solar activity.” — Victor Manuel Velasco Herrera, a researcher at the Institute of Geophysics of the National Autonomous University of Mexico.
- “It is a blatant lie put forth in the media that makes it seem there is only a fringe of scientists who don’t buy into anthropogenic global warming.” — U.S. Government Atmospheric Scientist Stanley B. Goldenberg of the Hurricane Research Division of NOAA, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
- “Even doubling or tripling the amount of carbon dioxide will virtually have little impact, as water vapor and water condensed on particles as clouds dominate the worldwide scene and always will.” — Geoffrey G. Duffy, a professor in the Department of Chemical and Materials Engineering of the University of Auckland, New Zealand.
- “After reading [U.N. IPCC chairman] Pachauri’s asinine comment [comparing skeptics to] Flat Earthers, it’s hard to remain quiet.” — Climate statistician Dr. William M. Briggs, who specializes in the statistics of forecast evaluation, serves on the American Meteorological Society’s Probability and Statistics Committee and is an associate editor of Monthly Weather Review.
- “For how many years must the planet cool before we begin to understand that the planet is not warming? For how many years must cooling go on?” — Geologist Dr. David Gee, the chairman of the science committee of the 2008 International Geological Congress who has authored 130 plus peer-reviewed papers, and is currently at Uppsala University in Sweden.
- “Gore prompted me to start delving into the science again and I quickly found myself solidly in the skeptic camp … . Climate models can at best be useful for explaining climate changes after the fact.” — Meteorologist Hajo Smit of Holland, who reversed his belief in man-made warming to become a skeptic, is a former member of the Dutch U.N. IPCC committee.
- “Many [scientists] are now searching for a way to back out quietly (from promoting warming fears), without having their professional careers ruined.” — Atmospheric physicist James A. Peden, formerly of the Space Research and Coordination Center in Pittsburgh, Pa.
- “Creating an ideology pegged to carbon dioxide is a dangerous nonsense … . The present alarm on climate change is an instrument of social control, a pretext for major businesses and political battle. It became an ideology, which is concerning.” — Environmental Scientist Professor Delgado Domingos of Portugal, the founder of the Numerical Weather Forecast group, has more than 150 published articles.
- “CO2 emissions make absolutely no difference one way or another … . Every scientist knows this, but it doesn’t pay to say so … . Global warming, as a political vehicle, keeps Europeans in the driver’s seat and developing nations walking barefoot.” — Dr. Takeda Kunihiko, vice-chancellor of the Institute of Science and Technology Research at Chubu University in Japan.
- “The [global warming] scaremongering has its justification in the fact that it is something that generates funds.” — Award-winning Paleontologist Dr. Eduardo Tonni, of the Committee for Scientific Research in Buenos Aires and head of the Paleontology Department at the University of La Plata.
The report also includes new peer-reviewed scientific studies and analyses refuting man-made warming fears and a climate developments that contradict the theory.
It turns out that the “consensus” of scientific opinion concerning global warming – and in particular man-caused global warming – is itself the result of academic fraud.
So what really IS going on with all this “Ice age, no, global warming, no ice age” hysteria?
Well, the first thing we’re seeing is a movement away from the now largely debunked phrase global warming and an embrace of the new politically correct climate change. See, by calling the same idiotic theory a different name, you can keep fooling the ignorant. It’s like that card that reads, “How do you keep a moron occupied? Turn over.” Only now, instead of the same exact message, the other side of the card says, “How do you keep a moron occupied? See other side.”
No matter what you call it, it’s largely bogus, based on bogus ideology in the name of “science,” and human beings have virtually no control over the climate of the planet. Whether you call it “global warming” or “climate change,” it is the same nonsense of global socialistic redistributionism imposed on Western Civilization in the name of “science.” China, India, Russia, and other major competitors benefit from pushing ahead with cheap energy and regulation-free industry while we cripple ourselves to solve a nonexistent problem.
S. Fred Singer’s (U. of Virginia) and Dennis Avery’s (Hudson Institute) book Unstoppable Global Warming Every 1,500 Years, details powerful evidence that – surprise, surprise – the warming (and the cooling, which really amounts to less warming) comes from the sun. Bet you never would have thought of that on your own in a million years.
According to a National Geographic article, “Even the sun appears headed for a recession.” I can only assume that Republicans will get the blame for that, too. But the sun – which HAD been in a very active phase during the 1990s to generate all the liberal hysteria – has since entered a phase of declining activity. Hence the cooling.
During the solar maximum in the 1990s, global warming peaked. As solar activity decreased, so did global warming. Last September, data from the Ulysses Space Probe detected the lowest solar activity seen in the last 50 years. The probe detected fewer sunspots, decreased solar winds, and a weakening magnetic field.
David J. McComas of the Southwest Research Institute (SWRI) – who leads the Ulysses Project – says that researches have been “surprised to find that the solar wind is much less powerful than it had been in the previous solar minimum. This is a whole-sun phenomenon. The entire sun is blowing significantly less hard than it was 10 to 15 years ago. Over the entire record of sun observations, this is the longest prolonged low pressure that we’ve observed.”
Al Gore puts no stock in the fact that the sun causes global warming. If the sun causes it, after all, then there’s no money to be made selling all those carbon credits. And there’s no reason for a global government to administer climate change laws.
President Obama’s climate and energy czar, Carol Browner, is a documented socialist and a strong proponent for a global regime for climate change regulation. In the past, she has proposed that rich countries shrink their economies to deal with climate change, and has advocated that the United States should surrender its sovereignty to a world organization set up to deal with the various economies of global warming.
After 20 years of screaming about global warming – more and more scientists are now actually warning of a coming ice age. They acknowledge that we have been preparing for warmer temperatures are frighteningly unprepared for colder temperatures. In reality, global warming has always been good for human civilization, and the warmer its been, the more the human race has thrived. Ice ages, on the other hand, have always resulted in a difficult struggle for survival.
The funniest thing of all is that even as it is being revealed that global warming has nothing to do with human CO2 levels, the United States is going to demolish its economy trying to stop something that has little or nothing to do with our activity in the first place. We are going to spend trillions of dollars developing incredibly expensive and inefficient “alternative energies” while key competitors such as China and India surge ahead of us using cheap oil and coal. And they will continue to surge ahead of us because the less oil and coal we use, the more they will have available and the less it will cost them. Mind you, after the elections in November, I have personally concluded that the United States deserves the decline that it voted for.
The second funniest thing is that – even as global warming alarmists are increasingly being forced to abandon the term “global warming” because they look like fools when they say it, they are doing the old bait-and-switch with their new term “climate change.” They are proven fools, frauds, and failures. But that moral and intellectual idiots that we have become, we’ll fall for their trick all over again.
For further facts on the myth of man-caused global warming, see: